This seminar has been approved for up to 2.50* CLE credits, including 1.00 Law and Legal Procedure, 1.50 Other CLE Credits for Washington attorneys.
*To receive the full 2.50 CLE credits, you must have completed the take home assignment prior to the program date.
This second CLE workshop teaches practice skills in comic book legal practice. The information taught the previous day is incorporated into a hands-on negotiation and drafting practicum, featuring breakout groups and in-class short drafting assignments.
This two-hour intensive will do a deep-dive into the three agreements every lawyer must know when representing a comic book creator: the artist services agreement, the comic book publishing agreement, and the motion picture option/purchase agreement. Facilitated by seasoned comic book publishing attorneys, attendees will get a chance to issue-spot, draft, and engage in mock negotiations.
Those attending Saturday’s workshop will have a short assignment to complete prior to the start of the class.
Some of the Issues explored in this second CLE:
- Negotiation and drafting of the artist services agreement
- Negotiation and drafting of the “creator controlled” publishing agreement
- Negotiation and drafting of the motion picture option/purchase agreement
- Special issues:
- Negotiating page rates, royalties, and financial incentives
- Approval provisions and deliverables
- Intellectual property “red flags” and drafting techniques
- March 3, 2018