I’m an attorney, writer, and educator working with professionals in the film, television, and comic book industries.
I’m a partner with the law firm of Lane Sash & Larrabee (www.lanesash.com) where I counsel clients on a wide range of entertainment law and intellectual property rights issues. My clients range from award-winning comic book publishers to the creators of some of the world's best-known superheroes; from television production companies to independent film producers; from videogame companies to sculptors, painters, magicians and 80's cover bands.
My clients' work is seen in the pages of Marvel and DC comics and on movie, TV, computer, and mobile screens across the world.
I’m admitted to the bars of New York, New Jersey, U.S. Supreme Court. Find out more here.
As a writer, I’m perhaps best known for my "The Pocket Lawyer for..." guide books for artists.
"The Pocket Lawyer for Filmmakers" (Focal Press, 2ed. 2011), my best-selling legal guide for independent film and television producers. The book has been adopted as a core textbook in many film and law schools across the United States. I am also the series editor for Focal Press and its new line of “Pocket Lawyer for…” legal guides for artists and entertainment professionals. My latest book is “The Pocket Lawyer for Comic Book Creators” (Focal Press, 2014) — is the very first dedicated legal guide for the comic book industry.
In addition to my private practice, I teach creators and creative businesses how to protect and promote their work.
I am the co-creator and Director from Practice emeritus of the Indie Film Clinic at Cardozo Law School (www.cardozo.yu.edu), where I taught for years. Some of the most fun I’ve had as a lecturer is creating a series of Continuing Legal Education courses on representing comic book creators, which I present at New York Comic Con, Emerald City Comic Con, and other comic cons across the country.
Find out where I'm presenting next or book a tailored workshop for your institution.
- In 2014, the law school clinic I co-founded was picked as one of “the most innovative in the country” by the National Jurist Magazine, and among the top 15 most innovative legal clinics in the country by PreLaw Magazine.
- A strong supporter of legal pro bono work for artists, I am the Executive Director emeritus of the New Jersey Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts.
- I've worked with the Dominican Republic film commission to harmonize their motion picture industry with that of the United States.
- I compete and have won awards in "poetry slams."
- "The Pocket Lawyer for Comic Book Creators," is the first dedicated legal guide book for the comic book industry.
- "The Pocket Lawyer for Filmmakers," is one of the best-selling books on film and television law.
- Prior to becoming an attorney, I was a TV producer the Director of Business and Program Development for The Science Technology Network.
- I created the children's science video series "Professor Potto's VideoLabs," which won the National Parenting Center's Seal of Approval.